The Animal Cell Culture facility of the CIB was established in 1987 as a scientific and technical support for research groups that work with human and animal cell cultures.
The general facilities of the Service are located in laboratory S29 (ext. 4396, e-mail: email@example.com). In this laboratory users have access to laminar flow cabinets, CO2 incubators, centrifuges, microscopes, baths, etc.
A. Supervision of the CIB Cell Culture Facilities
The main tasks of the Cell culture Service personnel are:
- Control of the personnel that uses the CIB Cell Culture facilities.
- Collaboration with the persons in charge of the different cell culture rooms in the supervision of the correct implementation of the protocols set for the CIB cell culture rooms.
- Control of the good functioning, preventive maintenance and cleanliness of the equipment of the general facilities of the Service.
B. Mycoplasma Testing and Elimination
The Service carries out tests for the detection of mycoplasma contaminations using two techniques:
- Coculturing the samples (cell line, supernatant, medium...) with the Vero cell line and subsequent staining with Hoechst 33258.
- Luminometric estimation of ATP´s increase caused by mycoplasma.
The Service carries out the mycoplasma elimination of contaminated cultures with specific antibiotics. It is a slow procedure and its success cannot be guaranteed. The price will depend on the antibiotic used, the duration of the treatment and the materials used.
C. Selection of Fetal Bovine Serum
The biological properties of commercial Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS) presents variations both among different suppliers and among different batches of the same supplier. The Service collaborates with CIB research groups in the periodic testing of different brands and FBS´s batches to select one in which different cell lines grow adequately. The selected FBS batch is maintained as a general reserve of the CIB being available to researchers at the CIB Store facility. The duration of this reserve is calculated for a period of 18 to 24 months.
D. Maintenance of stock of cell lines in liquid nitrogen
Services and Rates
E. Bioenergetic Characterization of Cell Lines
The CIB has an "Extracellular Flux Analyzer XF24-3" (Seahorse Bioscience), an instrument that allows a non-invasive characterization of the energy metabolism of cell lines in real time. The XF24-3 determines, in 24-well plates, the oxygen consuption (OCR) , CO2 formation (CDER) and the extracellular acidification rate (ECAR, a proxy for the rate of lactate formation). External and CIB users have access to this equipment. Help with the design, running of the experiments or data analysis is provided by Dr. E. Rial in charge of the technical and scientific assistance.