Science plays an essential role in maintaining a stable and sustainable economy and for the proper development of countries. However, society and citizens in general do not always have an understandable access to scientific and technological advances, nor how these contribute to improving their quality of life. In this context, the Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas is very aware of the importance of bringing science and its achievements closer to the non-specialized public, to explain its advances, its potential and, also, its limitations.
Towards this objective, the CIB develops and participates in multiple dissemination projects that allow us to bring our work closer to a general public, with a special focus on high school students, as we consider that they are the basis of the future Society.
"MADRID SCIENCE WEEK", DAYS OF OPEN DOORS AND GUIDED VISITS
Opening the gate of a research center goes beyond showing large specialized equipment but seeks to explain how we work, what are our motivations and objectives, how we use the resources that are invested in science and how these results can revert to Society.
Guided tours, dedicated mainly to schools and institutes, but also open to the general public, have a great acceptance and are requested throughout the year. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Science Week" is one of the most important scientific dissemination events in Europe, aimed at citizen participation and organized in Madrid, through the Madri+d Foundation. More information (in Spanish): http://www.madrimasd.org/semanaciencia/
* Activities organized by Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas during the "Science Week" 2019: link.
"CIENCIA EN EL BARRIO" (CSIC)
CIB collaborates with this project developed by Vicepresidencia de Cultura Científica del CSIC, offering guided visits to relevant scientific facilities. More information: link.
This program, organized by the Comunidad de Madrid, aims to bring students to the workplace through stays of one week in companies and scientific institutions, with the intention of approaching the education system and the work environment. More information (in Spanish): https://www.educa2.madrid.org/web/4eso-empresa
SPANISH BIOLOGY OLYMPIAD
The finalists of the Spanish Biology Olympiad are welcomed to CIB for a week, as a reward for their effort and the high grade obtained in the test, bringing them closer to research, and promoting the study of Biology and related areas. More information (in Spanish): http://olimpiadadebiologia.edu.es/
In the priority line of our commitment to the Society, we think that it is necessary to move initiatives there where the citizens are, and organize events outside our center, in the informal setting provided by cafeterias, bars or other locations, which allow us to reach a different and broader public to whom scientists report current issues favoring the generation of debates.
With this idea in mind, CIB staff members organize or are involved in several projects which are detailed herein:
* Tuesday October 22nd, 19:30h - "La microbiota de la leche materna: un hallazgo relevante", Dra. Leonides Fernández (UCM)
* Wednesday October 30th, 19:00h - "Las enfermedades raras: qué son y cómo se investigan", Dr. César Cobaleda (CBMSO)
CIENCIA CON TRES ENCANTOS
* Thursday October 24th, 19:30h - "Sobre escaños y coaliciones. Unas pinceladas de matemática electoral", Prof. Adolfo Quirós Gracián (UAM)
“CIUDAD CIENCIA” (CSIC)
Several researchers participate in this scientific dissemination project, promoted by CSIC and Obra Social "la Caixa", whose purpose is that the inhabitants of towns far from large urban centers get to know first-hand the latest scientific and technological news. More information (in Spanish): www.ciudadciencia.es
Cuéntame de Ciencia (blog associated to the MCIB Master)
PUBLICATIONS ADDRESSED TO A GENERAL PUBLIC
* Contributions in the Collection “Qué sabemos de…”. Coordinated by CSIC y the Publishing House Libros de la Catarata.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER INSTITUTIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas keeps relationships with:
Educative Institutions, giving talks addressed to students in schools/high schools. Special mention deserves the collaboration with the Institutional Delegation of the CSIC in Madrid, which coordinates the offer of talks within the Educative System in this Community. More information: www.d-madrid.csic.es.
This section will include specific events related with scientific dissemination which are celebrated at CIB, organized by our researchers outdoors or with the participation of a member of our staff.
- Conference cycle "Qué sabemos de" organized by the Brussels Delegation of CSIC - November, 28th 2019
Talk by Dr. Carmen Fernández "Cómo se fabrica un medicamento". Instituto Cervantes, Brussels.
- Conference cycle "Ciencia en Primera Persona" - November, 17th 2019
Talk by Dr. Francisco Javier Medina "Para explorar el espacio necesitamos cultivar plantas". MUNCYT (Alcobendas). More information here.
- VII Curso de Divulgación "Los avances de la química y su impacto en la sociedad" - Alrededor de la Tabla Periódica y los Elementos Químicos - November, 7th 2019
Talk by Dr. Nuria Campillo "La tabla periódica en el diseño de fármacos". Centro de Química Orgánica General "Manuel Lora-Tamayo", 18:30h. More information here.
- Scientific Conferences Addressed to Schools in Autonomous Community of Madrid - November, 4th 2019
Talk by Dr. Nuria Campillo "Cómo ser un fármaco y no morir en el intento” celebrated at IES Moratalaz.
- Scientific Conferences Addressed to Schools in Autonomous Community of Madrid - October, 24th 2019
Talk by Dr. Carmen Fernández "La farmacia a lo largo de la historia” celebrated at IES Juan de Mairena (San Sebastian de los Reyes).
- Screening of the film "Hidden Figures" and Cinefórum at Escociencia "Jornadas Científicas San Lorenzo de El Escorial" - October, 18th 2019
With the participation of Dr. Carmen Fernández to discuss the evolution of the role of women in science. More info here.
- III Congreso Aportando Valor al CO2 - October, 2-3 2019
Talk by Dr. Eduardo Díaz about microbial CO2 conversion. Event celebrated at Repsol Technology Lab (Madrid). More information here.
- Ciclo Divulgativo "Ciencia A Banda" - September, 26th 2019
Talk by Dr. Enrique J. de la Rosa "La posverdad en la ciencia. Cuando los bulos corren más deprisa que el conocimiento científico". Arrocería Casa Valentina, Alcobendas, 19:30h. More information here.
- "AGING: una visión actual sobre el envejecimiento", Fundación Pons - September, 24th 2019
With the participation of Prof. Ana Martínez in the scientific roundtable. More information: link.
PREVIOUS EVENTS: link