Science plays an essential role in maintaining a stable and sustainable economy and for the proper development of countries. However, society and citizens in general do not always have an understandable access to scientific and technological advances, nor how these contribute to improving their quality of life. In this context, the Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas Margarita Salas is very aware of the importance of bringing science and its achievements closer to the non-specialized public, to explain its advances, its potential and, also, its limitations.
YouTube: CIB Margarita Salas
CIB VIDEO CHANNEL
Follow this link to find contents related to many of our dissemination activities at CIB Margarita Salas, special events, workshops, seminars, among others. Moreover, you'll find our Newsletter contents: interviews, reports or opinion articles, to get to know our research center and the people who is working here.
Newsletter 0: "Margarita Salas returns to the CIB"
Newsletter 1: "COVID-19 and the value of knowledge"
Newsletter 2: "Research and Society"
Newsletter 3: "Biotechnology for the challenges of the 21st century"
Towards this objective, the CIB Margarita Salas develops and participates in multiple dissemination projects that allow us to bring our work closer to a general public, with a special focus on high school students, as we consider that they are the basis of the future Society.
"MADRID SCIENCE WEEK", DAYS OF OPEN DOORS AND GUIDED VISITS
Opening the gate of a research center goes beyond showing large specialized equipment but seeks to explain how we work, what are our motivations and objectives, how we use the resources that are invested in science and how these results can revert to Society.
Guided tours, dedicated mainly to schools and institutes, but also open to the general public, have a great acceptance and are requested throughout the year. For more information, contact email@example.com.
"Science Week" is one of the most important scientific dissemination events in Europe, aimed at citizen participation and organized in Madrid, through the Madri+d Foundation. More information (in Spanish): http://www.madrimasd.org/semanaciencia/
* Activities organized by Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas during the "Science Week" 2020: link.
"CIENCIA EN EL BARRIO" (CSIC)
CIB Margarita Salas collaborates with this project developed by Vicepresidencia de Cultura Científica del CSIC, offering guided visits to relevant scientific facilities. More information: link.
This program, organized by the Comunidad de Madrid, aims to bring students to the workplace through stays of one week in companies and scientific institutions, with the intention of approaching the education system and the work environment. More information (in Spanish): https://www.educa2.madrid.org/web/4eso-empresa
SPANISH BIOLOGY OLYMPIAD
The finalists of the Spanish Biology Olympiad are welcomed to CIB Margarita Salas for a week, as a reward for their effort and the high grade obtained in the test, bringing them closer to research, and promoting the study of Biology and related areas. More information (in Spanish): http://olimpiadadebiologia.edu.es/
TRAINING COURSES FOR TEACHERS OF THE COMMUNITY OF MADRID
The Institutional Delegation of the CSIC in the Community of Madrid (CM) offers the courses with which the CSIC participates in the CM Teacher Training Plan. Enrollments are made through the Permanent teacher training program of the CM. More information here (in spanish).
In the 2019/2020 academic year, the CIB Margarita Salas participates with three courses: (1) New tools in genetic research, (2) Controversies in Biology and Biomedicine with social repercussion and (3) Frontier research on Biomedicine and health and new training.
In the priority line of our commitment to the Society, we think that it is necessary to move initiatives there where the citizens are, and organize events outside our center, in the informal setting provided by cafeterias, bars or other locations, which allow us to reach a different and broader public to whom scientists report current issues favoring the generation of debates.
With this idea in mind, CIB Margarita Salas staff members organize or are involved in several projects which are detailed herein:
* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Jam Science is temporarily canceled.
* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ciencia en Pangea is temporarily canceled.
CIENCIA CON TRES ENCANTOS
“CIUDAD CIENCIA” (CSIC)
Several researchers participate in this scientific dissemination project, promoted by CSIC and Obra Social "la Caixa", whose purpose is that the inhabitants of towns far from large urban centers get to know first-hand the latest scientific and technological news. More information (in Spanish): www.ciudadciencia.es
Cuéntame de Ciencia (blog associated to the MCIB Master)
PUBLICATIONS ADDRESSED TO A GENERAL PUBLIC
* Contributions in the Collection “Qué sabemos de…”. Coordinated by CSIC y the Publishing House Libros de la Catarata.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER INSTITUTIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas Margarita Salas keeps relationships with:
Educative Institutions, giving talks addressed to students in schools/high schools. Special mention deserves the collaboration with the Institutional Delegation of the CSIC in Madrid, which coordinates the offer of talks within the Educative System in this Community. More information: www.d-madrid.csic.es.
This section will include specific events related with scientific dissemination which are celebrated at CIB Margarita Salas, organized by our researchers outdoors or with the participation of a member of our staff.
- "Ciencia Valdebernardo 2020" - March 19th 2020, 18h
With the participation of Prof. Ana Martínez with the talk "Alimentando los recuerdos". More info here.
- "Feria de las Mujeres Emprendedoras" - March 5 to 8 2020
With the participation of Dr. Nuria E. Campillo who will present her spin-off AItenea. It will take place at the Centro Comercial de Tres Cantos, from 11am to 9pm.
- “Towards gender equality in Science: are we in the right path?, Muntpunt (Bruxelles) - March 6th 2020, 18h
With the participation of Prof. Flora de Pablo.
- Round table about Women in Science at the Organización de Estados Iberoamericanos (OEI) Madrid - March 5th 2020, 12h
With the participation of Dr. Teresa Suárez
- I Encuentro Nacional de Mujeres Profesionales - March 4th 2020, 16:30h.
With the participation of Prof. Flora de Pablo in the round table "Espacios, tiempos y corresponsabilidades", in the Main Lecture Hall of Consejo General de la Abogacía Española (Paseo de Recoletos, 13. Madrid). More information here.
- IV Edition of Scientific Monologues "Club de la Ciencia", Teatro Filarmónica de Oviedo- February 28th 2020
With the participation of Dr. Nuria Campillo with the monologue "Sopa homeopática, la que sí comería Mafalda sin protestar".
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, Event “Jóvenes mujeres y ciencia”, Ibercaja, Duquesa Villahermosa, Huesca - February 17th 2020
With the participation of Carlota Tosat. The event is organized by the Huesca section of the Aragonese Youth Institute of the Government of Aragon and aimed at students of the ESO of Huesca institutes.
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, IES Gran Capitán (Madrid) - February 17th 2020
With the participation of Dr. Pilar S. Testillano, with the talks "¿Por qué necesitamos la ciencia?" and "La Ciencia es para todos y todas".
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, IES Eras de Renueva (León) - February 17th 2020
With the participation of Dr. Teresa Suárez, with the talk "Mi experiencia como bióloga de bata". More info: link.
- Asociación APERSORVA (Asociación de Personas Sordas de Valladolid) - February 15th 2020
Vanesa Nozal will give the talk "Mujeres en la ciencia: ¿cómo se descubre un medicamento?", at 19:00h.
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, European University (Madrid), Round-table "Mujer y liderazgo en la Ciencia" - February 14th 2020
With the participation of Dr. Nuria Campillo.
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, Colegio Tres Olivos (Madrid) - February 13th 2020
Talk by Dr. Carmen Fernández "La mujer en la ciencia: sesgos y estereotipos de género" given to the students of Technician in pharmacy and Technician in microcomputer systems and networks.
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, Asamblea de Madrid - February 11th 2020, 16h
With the participation of Prof. Ana Martínez in the colloquium with scientist and technologists. More info here.
- Outreach Theater Play about Rosalind Franklin with the title "DNA", at IES Bachiller Diego Sánchez, Talavera La Real (Badajoz) - February 11th 2020.
With the participation of Vanesa Nozal. The play is directed by Pablo Camacho and funded by "We are scientists, get us out of here". More information here.
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science, Banco Sabadell Auditorium (Madrid), "Encuentro con mujeres emprendedoras" - February 11th 2020
With the participation of Dr. Nuria E. Campillo. More info: link.
- Colegio Virgen de Mirasierra - January, 30th 2020
Talk by Dr. Valle Palomo "El Nacimiento de un fármaco y cómo llegar a ser científico".
- Universidad Europea de Madrid - January, 30th 2020
Talk by Dr. Carmen Fernández "Resonancia Magnética Nuclear: de las proteínas a los frescos de Pompeya".
- "Club de lectura Ciencia en el Barrio", IES Pradolongo - January, 29th 2020
Drs. Nuria Campillo and Carmen Fernández will talk with the attendants about their book "Cómo se fabrica un medicamento".
- Scientific Conferences Addressed to Schools in Autonomous Community of Madrid - January, 28th 2020
Talk by Dr. Carmen Fernández "La farmacia a lo largo de la historia" at IES Isabel la Católica.
PREVIOUS EVENTS: link