The main purpose of the Animal Facility of the Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas Margarita Salas(CIB Margarita Salas) is to produce and maintain the animals required for the different research lines carried out by scientists in our Centre. The Animal Facility is designed to house mainly experimental animal species like mice.
The animal facilities occupies an area of 450 m2, divided into different areas:
- Barrier area: husbandry is carried out under Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) conditions. Microbiological quality is ensured quarterly through the application of health surveillance program following FELASA recommendations. All work is performed by highly qualified personnel under sterile conditions.
- Experimental area: zone free of specific pathogens, where researchers have acces to carry out experimental procedures. It is composed by housing areas for animals and two fully equipped laboratories.
- Quarantine area: physically issolated area, where animals with improper or undefined microbiological profile are housed. Its access is restricted and all personnel must pass 48h of quarantine after the work in this area, before being able to work in the rest of animal facility zones.
Services provided in the Animal Facility
- Production and maintenance of animals. Production of wild and genetically modified strains, including sample collection for genotyping, breeding and assessment of animal welfare.
- Provision of females with known gestation date.
- Procedures of parenteral and enteral inoculation by different routs of administration and sample extraction of interest in research, as well as necropsies.
- Surgical procedures included in different research fields.
- Serological and parasitological monitoring of housed animals.
- Rederivation of murine strains and freezing/thawing of mouse embryos.
- Advise on experimental design in projects and procedures.
The Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas Margarita Salas (CIB Margarita Salas-CSIC) joined the Acuerdo de Transparencia en Experimentación Animal, promoted by Confederación de Sociedades Científicas de España (COSCE) with the colaboration of the Asociación Europea para la Investigación Animal (EARA).
CCCB, talks about "The future of animal rights. Reflections from the university".
Required documentation for the evaluation conducted by the authority responsible for projects and proceedings using animals for experimentation
Instructions for filling out bioethics/biosecurity assessment applications